Baked Pasta with Turkey Sausage and Fontina
- 4 (4 ounce) Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 7 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, undrained
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound rigatoni, cooked according to package directions
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese (4 ounces cut into 1/4-inch cubes and 2 ounces grated)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
Remove sausage from casings. In large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, crumble sausage. Cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
Add olive oil to pan drippings. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes.
Return sausage to the skillet and stir well. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Add cream to tomato mixture and warm through.
In large bowl or pan toss pasta and sauce. AD cubed fontina cheese and toss.
Immediately place pasta mixture in two 8x8x2-inch baking pans, dividing equally, or place in one 13x9x2-inch pan. Top with grated cheeses.
Bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.