This isn’t your typical egg bake. Pumpernickel bread has such a wonderful, nutty taste to it. And the saltiness of the pimientos combined with the smoky flavor of the turkey will keep you coming back for more.
Turkey Pumpernickel Strata
Write a review
- Turkey Pumpernickel Strata
- 4 Slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 Cup SMOKED DARK TURKEY, cubed
- 1 Can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1 Jar (2 ounces) pimientos, drained
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion
- 1 Tablespoon dried chives
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1-1/2 Cups milk 4 eggs, beaten
- On 10-X 15-X 2-inch jellyroll pan, arrange bread cubes. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in 400 degree F
- oven or until cubes are dry. Reserve 1/2 cup of bread cubes for topping.
- In bottom of lightly oiled 9-inch square baking dish layer bread cubes.
- In medium-size bowl combine smoked turkey, mushrooms, pimiento, onion, chives, garlic
- powder, salt and pepper. Spread turkey mixture over bread cube layer and top with cheese.
- Sprinkle reserved bread cubes over cheese.
- In same bowl combine milk and eggs; pour over top of bread layer. Cover dish and refrigerate
- In preheated 325 degrees F oven, bake strata 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center
- of strata comes out clean. Allow strata to stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/