It’s zucchini time in Iowa! Head to your local farmer’s market (or find a neighbor with a garden!) and try this AMAZING turkey sausage zucchini boat recipe!
Turkey Sausage Zucchini Boats
Write a review
- 1 cup Jimmy Dean cooked turkey sausage crumbles
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup tomato sauce with onion and peppers
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut zucchini length wise. Using a spoon or melon baller, remove seeds and scoop out flesh and chop the flesh into bite size pieces. Set aside the flesh in a small bowl.
- Drop the zucchini halves in boiling water and boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove zucchini halves from water and dry zucchini with a paper towel.
- In a 9 x 12 inch baking pan spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce into bottom of pan.
- Place the zucchini halves on top of the sauce with the open side facing up.
- In a large saute pan add olive oil and saute garlic. Add chopped zucchini. Season with pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return chopped sausage to pan and mix in tomato sauce. Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Using a spoon, add equal amounts of sausage mixture to each zucchini half.
- Top each zucchini half with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese has melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/