In June, Kristin Porter, the blogger behind the amazing website, Iowa Girl Eats, toured a turkey farm in Ida Grove and then cooked up some lunch with the Iowa Turkey Federation’s Executive Director and Home Economist, Gretta Irwin.
15 peppers - Jalapeño, mini sweet red, yellow or green
peppers to make 30 pieces
1 package turkey bacon, cut in half
1 pkg. Hillshire Farm® Turkey Lit'l Smokies®
2, 8 ounce packages cream cheese
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
1. Slice the peppers lengthwise to form two pieces. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and membrane.
2. Mix the cream cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Fill the hollowed out portion of the peppers with the cheese mixture.
3. Place one Lit'l Smokies® on top of the cream cheese mixture. Wrap the half slice of bacon around the pepper. If the bacon is not staying tightly wrapped, it may be necessary to use a toothpick to hold it in place.
Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. They can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours before grilling.
4. Place top side down on a medium heat grill until the bacon is crisp.
Flip to the pepper side and cook until the pepper is tender and the
bacon is browned. Keep the lid covered while cooking.
* To cook in the oven: Bake in the oven, set at 425 F, for 20-30 minutes