It’s zucchini time in Iowa! Head to your local farmer’s market (or find a neighbor with a garden!) and try this AMAZING turkey sausage zucchini boat recipe!
Turkey Sausage Zucchini Boats
- 1 cup Jimmy Dean cooked turkey sausage crumbles
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup tomato sauce with onion and peppers
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup low moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut zucchini length wise. Using a spoon or melon baller, remove seeds and scoop out flesh and chop the flesh into bite size pieces. Set aside the flesh in a small bowl.
- Drop the zucchini halves in boiling water and boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove zucchini halves from water and dry zucchini with a paper towel.
- In a 9 x 12 inch baking pan spread 1/4 cup tomato sauce into bottom of pan.
- Place the zucchini halves on top of the sauce with the open side facing up.
- In a large saute pan add olive oil and saute garlic. Add chopped zucchini. Season with pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return chopped sausage to pan and mix in tomato sauce. Remove from heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Using a spoon, add equal amounts of sausage mixture to each zucchini half.
- Top each zucchini half with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese has melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/
Top 7 Turkey Products for Weight Loss
Deli meat: Turkey deli meat is great for a quick sandwich. Or, cut out the carbs and wrap it around a string cheese stick.
Serving size: 2 oz
Protein: 9 g
Turkey breast: Skinless turkey breast is the leanest of all the turkey cuts. Use it in place of chicken for more protein with fewer calories.
Serving size: 3 ounces
Protein: 26 g
99% Lean Ground Turkey Breast: Like ground beef? Try ground turkey instead. Skinless, lean ground turkey has fewer calories and more protein than most ground beef.
Serving size: 4 ounces
Protein: 28 g
Turkey Pepperoni: Use turkey pepperoni to spice things up! Turkey pepperoni has 70% less fat and ½ the calories of regular pepperoni, and is great for cooking or snacking.
Serving size: 30 g (about 16 slices)
Turkey bacon: Turkey bacon is a great alternative to pork bacon, especially in recipes!
Serving size: 15 g
Protein: 2 g
Turkey Sausage: Turkey sausage is available in many forms, and has fewer calories than pork sausage.
Serving size: 109 g
Protein: 17 g
Turkey Jerky: Turkey jerky is an easy to find, protein filled snack for on the go.
Serving size: 1 oz
Protein: 11 g
Want to receive turkey news and notes in your email inbox? Click here.