Katie here – I made these mini-turkey empanadas as part of our big Food Photography day. To be honest, I didn’t even know what empanadas were, and I was really concerned that the empanadas would be TOO mini.
But they weren’t. They were perfect. As soon as they were cool enough to touch, I was sampling them, and my friend and I quickly devoured the extras that weren’t needed for the photo shoot.
Although the pie crust adds some calories, ground turkey breast is so lean that these still come in under 400 calories per serving. And the filling was so absolutely delicious – I’d use it in a tortilla or on top of nachos, too.
One last thing I have to add – these would be a great snack to freeze and reheat, and of course they’d be great for the big game!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts)
- 1. Wash hands.
- 2. In large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook and stir turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic for 5 to 6 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, or until liquid is evaporated. Remove skillet from heat and cool.
- 4. Using a 3 inch round biscuit cutter, cut 12 rounds from each pie crust for a total of 48.
- 5. Spoon heaping teaspoon of filling in center of each round. Fold pastry in half and pinch edges together to seal.
- 6. Lightly coat 2 (15x10x1-inch) baking sheets with nonstick spray. Place empanadas on baking sheets and bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until mini empanadas are golden brown.
- Makes 12 servings (4 per serving)
- Serve with sour cream and chopped green onion.
- 1 serving: calories 399, protein 8.9 g, fat 22.5 g (saturated 9.1 g), cholesterol 43.1 mg, sodium 386.5 mg, carbohydrate 3.7 g, fiber 1.1 g