Enjoy the popular southwestern flavors of this chili from the National Turkey Federation. If you prefer, substitute turkey broth for the red wine.
Southwestern Turkey Chili
Write a review
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro OR 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh cilantro
- 1. Wash hands.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir green pepper, onion and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Add beans, tomatoes, wine, turkey, chili powder, cilantro, red pepper and salt. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes.
- 4. Ladle into bowls and garnish with additional fresh cilantro.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Serve with cornbread.
- 1 Serving: calories 295, protein 25.1 g, fat 7 g (saturated 1.2 g), cholesterol 39.9 mg, sodium 778 mg, carbohydrates 29.6 g, fiber 7.4 g
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/