Easy and cheesy turkey recipe – and it all cooks in one pot!
You know those cute cookbooks elementary classes make for Mother’s Day? The ones where the kids write their interpretation of their mom’s recipe? I once saw a recipe for hamburger helper, written by a five year old, that said, “Open the box. Make the noodles. Mix it up.”
Well, this isn’t quite that easy, but it’s close! And Homemade TURKEY Cheeseburger Helper will quickly earn a spot in your kid’s school cookbook.
- 2 lb. lean ground turkey
- 2 ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ cups hot water
- 5 cups skim milk
- 4 cups (13 oz. box) whole grain penne pasta (or other small pasta)
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Brown ground turkey in a large pot. Drain and return to pot.
- 2. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and seasonings with 1 cup milk. Combine seasoning mixture, hot water, 4 cups skim milk and pasta with the ground turkey. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, place a lid on top, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, stirring a couple of times.
- 3. Turn off the heat and stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
Check out more ground turkey recipes here!