Nothing is better than a warm, creamy soup on a cold winter night, and this creamy wild rice soup with smoked turkey definitely fits the bill!
Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Smoked Turkey
Write a review
- 2 Teaspoons butter or stick margarine
- 1 Cup chopped carrot
- 1 Cup chopped onion
- 1 Cup chopped green onions
- 1 Teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, OR 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 16-Ounce cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, OR 32-Ounces TURKEY BROTH
- 1-1/2 Cups SMOKED DARK TURKEY, chopped
- 1 Cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 2-3/4 Cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 Tablespoons dry sherry
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onions, rosemary, pepper
- and garlic. Saute 8 minutes or until browned. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in turkey and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or
- until rice is tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and milk in
- a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add to pan. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8
- minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in sherry and salt.
- Serves 8
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/