Casseroles = comfort food, and this broccoli rice casserole with turkey won’t disappoint.
Cheesy and warm, it is good for the soul. And the addition of veggies and turkey give it a boost of nutrition that’s good for your body, too.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 bag (16 ounce) frozen California mix vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 ½ teaspoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk, divided (I used skim)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. When rice is almost tender (about 5 minutes left to cook) add frozen vegetables on top to steam.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder with 1/2 cup milk. Pour mixture into skillet then add remaining ½ cup milk. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese and sour cream, and stir until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Combine cooked rice and vegetable mixture with cheese sauce then scoop mixture into a nonstick sprayed baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4
More broccoli and turkey recipes: