Our Home Economist and Executive Director, Gretta Irwin, recently appeared on an episode of Iowa Ingredient on Iowa Public Television.
As Gretta says in the video, turkey drumsticks are an iconic part of the Iowa State Fair. Since the Turkey Grill opened in 1983, fair-goers have enjoyed these smoked legs and made them a fair tradition.
You can enjoy turkey legs at home, as well, with the easy crock pot recipe Gretta shares.
- TURKEY LEGS/DRUMSTICKS: 2-3
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon
- Freshly ground black pepper: 1 Teaspoon
- Prepared barbecue sauce: 1-1/2 Cups (smoky flavored)
- Sprinkle turkey legs with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker. Coat all turkey legs
- surfaces with barbecue sauce.
- Cover and cook of LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Cover with lid or foil and roast in a preheated 300 degree F oven for 3-4 hours or until
- fork tender. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove lid and brown for
- about 10-15 minutes.