According to wikipedia, the origin of the chimichanga is unknown. Traditionally, it’s made with chicken and deep fried. But this baked turkey version has all the flavor of the original with a lot fewer calories!
Baked Turkey Chimichanga
All of the flavor of a traditional chimichanga, made with lean turkey.
Write a review
- 1 Cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper
- 1 Pound Shredded Cooked Turkey
- 1-2/3 Cups chunky salsa, drained of excess juices
- 1-1/2 Cups fat-free refried black beans with jalapeño chile peppers
- 1 (4 Ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 6 Large whole wheat tortillas
- 3/4 Cup light sour cream
- 6 Ounces guacamole
- 1 Cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. In a large heavy nonstick skillet, over medium heat, cook onion until transparent. Add garlic, oregano, salt, pepper turkey and cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- 3. Add the salsa, beans and diced chiles. Cook and stir until most liquid evaporates.
- 4. Lay the tortillas out flat and portion the turkey mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla. Fold the right and left sides of the tortilla over the filling, then the top and bottom, making an envelope that encloses the turkey mixture.
- 5. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until slightly crispy.
- 6. Serve with the sour cream, guacamole and cheese.
Iowa Turkey Federation http://iowaturkey.org/